January 26, 2015

Make it Work Monday #6

One of the blogs that I follow purely for eye candy fashion inspiration is Suburban Faux Pas.  I love her style.  It is classic and chic and I looooove her hair.  

So this weekend my Odyssey of the Mind  team and I went to the Spontaneous Workshop.  It's a long explanation but basically the kids will have to perform a "spontaneous problem" at the tournament (in March!  Eek!).  A spontaneous problem is a small, random, timed problem that the kids will have to solve.

For example, one of the problems that they had to "solve" during this workshop was doing a word web on the word break.  Some examples were common--like break a window or coffee break--and some were more creative like break the sound barrier and breakfast.

Although it takes a lot of extra time and a lot of extra stress, I have to say I am really glad that I volunteered to be a coach (well, a co-coach with another mom--thank GOD!!!).  Not only does it give me extra time and bonding with kiddos--in particular Conner with whom I never really get extra time with--but it is just fun.

It's fun to see my kids blossom and work together as a team.  It is fun to watch their little minds think outside of the box.  One of the workshops yesterday said that my kids made up the most creative build off of each other story he'd ever heard!  They had aliens and elvins and pigeons that turned into pancakes and fire pits.  It was great!

And because 5 of the 6 kids on my team are in the gifted and talented, excelled programs in school (my Conner included), it is nice for them to turn their brains less from the rules and regulations and more into the creative aspects of life.  It's really hard for them most of the time--they have a lot of regulation questions--but it is really good.  And really cool to watch.

By the way, the winner of the elephant brooch was Beth!  Congrats!

Striped Tee-thrifted; Corduroy and Faux Fur Jacket-thrifted; Floral Joggers-Nordstrom; Cap Toe Heels-Franco Sarto

No comments:

Post a Comment

You call it your two cents, I call it priceless. Thank you so much for visiting! I read and cherish every single comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs